THOMAS STEBBINS came to America with his parents in 1634, and lived for a time in Roxbury, Suffolk, MA. In 1639, he removed to Springfield, Hampden, MA. In 1641, he was allotted two lots on each side of the "great river." In 1642, he purchased some additional land from the town, that had belonged to Goodman Gregory. A part of this lot is now Courthouse square.
On Nov. 7, 1643, it was agreed that those who joined in making a cartway across the meadow, could charge a toll of 4 pence for those who used the path. THOMAS STEBBINS was one who joined.
On Jan. 10, 1644/45, when the location of the first meeting house was considered, it was voted to take forty rods of land from the lot of THOMAS STEBBINS; but later it was determined that six rods square was sufficient, and for the remainder of the forty rods, he was to allow a passage way to the training field. Then on Feb. 26, of that year, the town took an acre-and-a-half of land from THOMAS, and an acre from Francis Ball, for a burying ground and training field. THOMAS was given three acres elsewhere in return.
At a meeting in 1645, it was agreed that THOMAS along with Benjamin Munn, could use the training field as a pasture for ten years and then the rest of his life. In 1646, THOMAS and WILLIAM WARRINER were chosen as surveyors for the ensuing year. AFter that, THOMAS' name appears frequently on the town records as an office holder, or member of important committees.
In 1646, THOMAS was assessed nine shillings five pence on thirty-four acres of land, the purpose of the assessment being to compensate John Pynchon for monies he used to purchase the land from the Indians. That same year he traded one-and-a-half acres of land in town for 5 acres of meadow land.
THOMAS' accounts with John Pynchon indicate that he must have been a tailor. He did very little outdoor work for Mr. Pynchon, but received several credits on his account in exchange for clothing he made; the clothing being sold at the Pynchon store. THOMAS also made large purchases of thread.
He was chosen selectman, Nov. 2, 1652, and again in 1653 and 1655. He was one of the witnesses to the Indian deed, dated Sep. 24, 1653, conveying the land of Nonotuck (now Northampton) to John Pynchon. The final afreement was signed Oct. 3, 1653, by twenty persons. THOMAS was the third to sign. On May 29, 1654, he was voted town measurer, and acted in that capacity in 1672, 1674, 1675, 1681 and 1682. In 1655 he was allotted one acre of wet meadow on the condition he stay there for five years.
In 1658, he was chosen viewer of fences for the norther part of town, and the next year chosen juryman. Dec. 23, 1659, he was assigned the third seat at the meeting house. On May 11, 1663, he received a grant of thirty more acres.
HANNAH died Oct. 16, 1660, at Springfield. THOMAS married second, Abigail Burt on Dec. 14, 1676, in Springfield, Hampden, MA. She was the widow of Francis Ball and Benjamin Munn. She was born in 1623 and died Nov. 23, 1707.
THOMAS died Sep. 15, 1683, at Springfield. He is honored on the cenotaph erected for his father at the
Old Burying Ground in Northampton, Hampshire, MA.
|all children born in Springfield, Hampden, MA|
wife Joanna Lamb
wife Abigail Brooks
wife Abigail Munn
wife Mary Day
wife Sarah Dorchester
husband Samuel Bliss
wife SARAH GRAVES
wife Mary Cooper
wife Abigail Denton
wife Mary Graves