The marriage of "John Jephson and Emm Coddington Widdow" is recorded in The Early Records of Boston, New England Historical Genealogical Register, v. 11, p. 201.
EMM (sometimes EMMA) was married first to John Coddington (Henry Coddington according to James Savage, in The Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers). She had two children, Sarah and John Coddington, by her first husband. John Coddington died Aug. 18, 1655. EMM remarried the following May 7.
The following excerpts come from A History & Genealogy of John Jepson 1610-1917, by Norton W. Jipson MD:
JOHN JEPSON, who was born 1610 (see deposition Suffolk Co., Deeds 1655) birthplace and parentage unknown, d. 1687, was granted a "great lot at the Mount, for three heads, at the rate of three shillings an acre; upon the entrance of the platform or bounders thereof after surveying of it and that to be at the next towne meeting thereunto." (See Book of Possessions, page 41), was a member of the First Church of Boston, was made a citizen of the town in 1647, was by occupation a cordwainer [shoemaker]; in 1670 was appointed sealer of leather, was fined for giving employment to John Everson, a man who had been blacklisted by the Colony. In 1676 was on a committee appointed by the general court to see that the law restricting the drinking of liquor be enforced.
He owned a piece of land 42 feet wide and 155 feet long on the Mill Creek which ran from the harbor to the Mill Pond, nearly upon the line of the present Blackstone Street [present Haymarket area]. The Mill Creek end of the lot was occupied by a wharf and a shop adjoining same and Paddy's Alley [near the present Central Artery/Tunnel project]. He deeded this lot to his son John in 1685 for a consideration of eighty pounds.
John was a house builder and carpenter. In 1700 he was chosen tithing man at public meeting according to law. He erected many houses and was employed by the town to erect and repair public buildings.
John married three times. The ceremony for the third marriage was performed by the well-known Rev. Cotton Mather.
He died Nov. 21, 1721, in Boston. The Mill Creek lot which he purchased of his father in 1685 was divided among his heirs in 1728.
William was a cordwainer [shoemaker] and for many years sealer of leather, constable, tithing man, overseer of poor and surveyor of highways. He owned property on Marshall Street and on this land is located the famous Boston Stone [on the Freedom Trail]. He m. Anna, daughter of Mary Brook, by her husband Josiah Cooper. She d. in 1720. He d. and was interred in Kings Chapel burial ground. A tablet contains this inscription:
age 79 years who died Dec. ye 24, 1746 (C).
In his will he gives ten pounds "Old Tenor" to his nephew William Jepson, To Hannah Beasly, one-half of his household goods and to William Payne, his executor, the remainder of his property.
husband JOHN KELLEY
husband Silvanus Plumer
| -1743 |
wife Ruth Gardner
wife Apphia Rolfe
wife Mercey Daniels
wife Elizabeth Gridley
husband Peter Harvey
wife Anna Cooper
wife Mary Smith