GENERATION 10

GENERATION 9

THOMAS UPSON
born:                                          
marr:    
died:07-19-1655Farmington, CT
buried:Memento Mori Cemetery, Farmington
father:RICHARD UPSON
mother: 
 
 
born:                                          
marr:    
died:    
buried: 
father: 
mother: 



Biography

THOMAS UPSON, leaving his wife and daughter, MARY, in England, sailed for America with his son Thomas, and landed at Saybrook, Middlesex, CT. From there he made his way to Hartford, Hartford, CT. THOMAS' name appears in "ye Towne Book of Hartford" on Jan. 3, 1639, as one of those "who received land by courtesy of the town with liberty to fetch wood and keep swine and cows by proportion on the Common."

The volume of Colonial records, known as Hartford Land Distribution, page 41, discloses that in February, 1639, THOMAS UPSON owned "several parcells of land in Hartford upon ye river of Connecticut, one parcell lyinge on the west field containing by estimacon two roods (more or less) whereof two roods was given for a house lott abuttinge upon the Cow Pasture on the north and on Thomas Barns his land on the east and on the highway leading from the Cow Pasture to Mr. Allen's land on west." The house lot was on the west side of what is now Albany Avenue.

In August of 1639, THOMAS was fined 20 shillings for "unreasonable and immoderate drinking at the Pinnace." In those early days intemperance was a prevailing vice and social drinking was universal", so let us not place undue importance upon this one record, the only charge of the kind against this ancestor.

In 1640, Hartford land records show a conveyance of land by the Tunxis Indians to the British. The tract included the present towns of Farmington, Southington, Bristol, Berlin, New Britain and Burlington. In this year, THOMAS UPSON became an original proprietor of the town of Farmington. The "Ould Town Book" in which early records of early Farmington town meetings were kept, was passed from hand to hand as clerks were elected, and finally fell to pieces, so no record of the first forty years exists today. Prior to his move to Farmington, he sold his Hartford lands to William Disbrow and William Goodwin.

THOMAS was a member of the First Church in Hartford, and the settlers in Farmington continued to attend at their old church until 1652, when Roger Newton became the first resident pastor of the Farmington Parish. A search of the Farmington Land Records, discloses that THOMAS UPSON's house stood on the Main Highway on the property now owned by the Porter School, and he also owned a tract of land on the Main Highway, north of the present Porter Road, where the Farmington Bank now (1940) stands. The only building which THOMAS might have set foot in is the historic Elm Tree Inn. His land went back to the river, and he also owned wood lands.

He married second in Hartford, Hartford, CT, Elizabeth Fuller, Jan. 23, 1646/47. THOMAS died Jul. 19, 1655, at Farmington, and Elizabeth married EDMUND SCOTT.

Since THOMAS did not make the historic journey with Rev. THOMAS HOOKER, from Newtown, MA, to Hartford, he was not considered an original proprietor of Hartford, and his name is not to be found on the Founder's Monument in the Old Center Church Burying Ground. After three hundred years, however, the city of Hartford voted to honor all "the men who received land by the courtesy of the town," and therefore his descendants are eligible for membership in the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford.
 


Children

  born marr died
children of THOMAS UPSON and his first wife
MARY UPSON
  husband JOHN WELTON
about-1645
12-25-1633
                 
         -1667
10-18-1716
06-18-1726
Thomas                     12-09-1672
children of THOMAS UPSON and Elizabeth Fuller
Hannah
  husband Sgt. Samuel Hickox
 
11-14-1643
 
 
                 
         -1694
Elizabeth     07-20-1655
Stephen
  wife Mary Lee
         -1655
08-14-1664
 
12-28-1682
         -1733
02-15-1714


[HOME PAGE]   [INDIVIDUAL NAMES]   [SURNAMES]   [FAMILY TREE]