MORRIS TUCKER was of Salisbury, Essex, MA, as early as 1661. His name was sometimes spelled Maurice. MORRIS was married at Salisbury, Oct. 14, 1661, to ELIZABETH STEVENS. She died Oct. 16, 1662, in childbirth. In 1663, MORRIS married second, Elizabeth Gill, the daughter of John and Phebe (Buswell) Gill, of Salisbury. She was the mother of his remaining children.
On Jan. 5, 1663, William Huntingly of Salisbury, deeded for £15, to Morris Tucker, 30 acres of upland near Cobler's Brook on the highway leading to Haverhill. On Jul. 29, 1668, he sold this same tract of land to John Gill, and described himself as a planter.
On Dec. 11, 1677, he took the oath of allegiance before Thomas Bradbury, Captain of the Salisbury Militia, and was freeman in 1690. He was a cooper (barrel maker). He married a third time to Grace (Woolley) Lippincott, who survived him. She was the daughter of Emanuel and Elizabeth Woolley, and the widow of Jacob Lippincott.
In 1692, MORRIS and his wife signed the petition in favor of Mary Bradbury, wife of Capt. Thomas Bradbury. Mrs. Bradbury, having been tried for witchcraft, was convicted, but not executed.
The next year, 1693, MORRIS made the bricks for the parsonage house. The brickyard was on the farm he occupied, and was still there a hundred years later.
On Feb. 7, 1693, he deeded to his son James Tucker, for £10, a parcel of upland and swamp in Salisbury, near a place known as Munday Hill, which was granted to him by the commoners of Salisbury. On Mar. 28, 1699 he sold additional land to his son James.
Except occasional references, the church records of Salisbury contain no mention of this family. In later years some members of the church were Quakers, which sect was extremely strong, both in numbers and the quality of its members, in that part of the colony.
Four of his sons went to Rhode Island: John to Providence in that part that later became Glocester; James to Tiverton, and later to Warwick; Jabez to Westerly; and Morris to Westerly and Hopkinton. MORRIS either accompanied or followed these sons to Providence, where he died Sep. 23, 1711, leaving all his property to his wife Grace. His other two sons, BENONI and Joseph remained in Massachusetts.
James was born at Salisbury, MA, but later moved to Tiverton, MA, now Tiverton, RI. He sold his land
at Tiverton to his brother, Morris, in 1718. Jan. 17, 1726/27, the town clerk of Warwick, Kent, RI, was
ordered to take bonds of "one Tucker" who had come into the town to live. In 1727, he bought from
Anthony Low of Warwick, one half of a saw and grist mill on Roaring Brook at Natick, Kent, RI. He also
bought land in Providence and Glocester, both in Providence County, RI, in 1733, calling himself "of
Warwick." He sold the Glocester land to "my brother John Tucker of Glocester." The name of his wife and
the date of his death are unknown.
|all children born in Salisbury, Essex, MA|
|children of MORRIS TUCKER and ELIZABETH STEVENS|
wife EBENEZAR NICHOLS
|children of MORRIS TUCKER and Elizabeth Gill, his second wife|
husband Stephen Davis
wife Phoebe Page
wife Rebecca Palmeter
husband Daniel Pearce